Americana DeVenco Fabricates High Quality, Hand Crafted Shutters
The Caribbean shutters you buy today will be enjoyed for years to come. Whether you have a home of period significance, a new home designed to replicate period architecture, or you are renovating and desire a timeless window dressing, our shutters are tailored to your requirements.
- Solid wood components. There are no finger-jointed or “glued up parts.” All components are solid wood and custom milled to exacting specifications in our shop. There are no ready-made parts, imported parts or stock fabricated parts…and never faux wood.
- Mortise and dowel construction. Americana DeVenco shutters are not screwed together, stapled, or pinned together. We use old-fashioned cabinetmaker joinery. This assures the shutter will never fall out of square at the joints under its own weight.
- Nylon rotation pins. Louver operation is smooth and effortless, even if it is refinished numerous times.
- Proportional design.
- Caribbean 1″ by 2″ beaded stiles assure aesthetically pleasing design as well as structural integrity.
- 3-1/2″ louvers spaced at 3″ on center provide excellent closure and actual room darkening in daylight.
- Lockrails are customary at no extra charge based upon the height of the shutter and provide structural support and absolute stability within a panel while allowing upper louvers to function separately from lower louvers.
- Hanging hinge mortise. Mortising for hanging hinges is standard, allowing a custom fit within the window jamb.
- Rabbeted stiles. One additional custom feature that provides total privacy and blocks additional light and heat.
Americana DeVenco Caribbean Shutters Are Constructed of the Finest Material
All wood is milled by us in our shop. There are no prefab or stock-sized parts. All work is done in our shop by skilled craftsmen to the highest standards in the industry today.
Following our state-of-the-art CAD drawings that are reviewed and approved by the customer for accuracy, the components for each shutter are cut by hand, piece by piece, the old-fashioned way. The shutters are then assembled by hand using old-world cabinetmaker construction techniques.
After assembly, each shutter is sanded and buffed by hand and prepared for finishing. All shutters are ready to receive a finish with either being provided raw or primed. Hardware is carefully set on each shutter and holes are drilled for installation. Your shutters are then packed like Waterford crystal for shipping.
We Know Caribbean
The 3-1/2” louver width of the Caribbean shutter opens up the viewing area, making them an asset to any room. You will be able to enjoy the view out your windows and still control the light and your privacy. The unique mix of cultures but more importantly, the climate (heat, high winds, rain and high humidity) has led to distinct architectural features. It is important to stay cool during the generally consistent 80 degree temperatures in the Caribbean and these shutters were designed to create the maximum amount of shade and ventilation. The wide louvers allow you to take advantage of cooling breezes and also to offer a way to enjoy the beauty of your natural surroundings. To see Caribbean shutters designed to provide an open feel, check out: Caribbean Cottage
Since shutters hinge to open off the window entirely, you can enjoy an unobstructed view while having the opportunity to close them off when privacy is desired. Shutters are generally considered to be a complete window decoration unto themselves and add curb appeal as well. We can fabricate them to conform architecturally with any style window and they can be painted or stained to match or accent any color.
Caribbean louvers offer a warm and welcoming appearance. They provide an elegant look for bedrooms and dining rooms, but transition well into dens, informal living rooms, and kitchens. Caribbean shutters can be useful as pantry or laundry room doors. Due to the larger louver width, you can set up several together as a room separator in a large space because when the louvers are open, you still get the feel of the large area, but closed louvers make an area feel more intimate. Another design use would be as a false wall to conceal pipes or conduit in a laundry room or even speakers in an entertainment area. The uses are left to your creativity.